XCOM: Enemy Unknown Cheats And Tips
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is out now for iOS devices, and we gave the game a score of 4.5 out of 5 in our review yesterday. It's a pricey app, but worth every penny - here are some useful tips to help you get the most from your investment.
- Don't forget to keep an eye on your research projects, and take full advantage of any upgrades you've earned before heading into a new mission. Tempting though it may be to concentrate on research that enhances your team's offensive and defensive capabilities, those autopsies are great for discovering weaknesses in the ever-present alien threat.
- Unless you have a very specific strategy in mind, keep adding scientists, engineers and soldiers to your base in roughly equal numbers. If you're playing on a tougher difficulty level, you'll need to be more responsive to the situation as it evolves.
- There are four different classes to choose from in the game, and each one provides a different benefit on the battlefield. If you're struggling with a particular mission, consider taking a fresh team in that will provide different strengths - and weaknesses, of course.
Your bog-standard soldier, the Assault Class excels at using standard shotgun and assault rifle weapons in close-quarters combat.
If you're struggling to take out obstacles and enemy clusters, consider making use of the Heavy Class. Rocket launchers and explosives are the order of the day here.
If getting up close and personal is causing carnage, make use of the Sniper Class to get an advantage. These ranged experts can deliver blistering firepower from distance - allowing you to take out the enemy and live to fight another turn.
The Support Class excels at two things - providing medical aid to injured squad-mates, and offering logistical support to help the team move more stealthily through dangerous environments. Protect these guys at all costs.
- If you want to keep the funding cash rolling in, you're going to have to make sure that nations don't descend into total panic. To do this, you should make sure you're changing mission regions regularly, as well as providing satellite coverage to areas that are close to chaos.
- Be very careful with how you prioritize your excavation works. The deeper you dig, the more expensive each expansion becomes, so create only the rooms you need. Rooms of the same class will provide a passive bonus if they're adjacent to each other, so keep that in mind when crafting your overall expansion strategy.